La Fontvella (The old fountain).
has not sprung up for many years. It looks like a small restored chapel and it preserves the big iron bar which had to be operated to pump the water. It was built at the end of the XIX century because of the serious cholera epidemic which the summer of 1885 devastated a big part of the Principat.
In the past, houses did not have tap water, nor toilets, nor showers. The wells, cisterns and the irrigation of the mill were the main water supplies for the domestic use. The epidemic’s virulence moved the authorities to control the health standards of the water of human consumption, and sanitation of sewage waters as well as the building of public fountains. Our fountain became “old” when other fountains started working in the village, like the one next to the round tower, which dates from MCMXXX year, or like the one there had been on the corner of Can Punton.